How to Brighten the Holidays for your Senior Loved One
Signs of Loneliness Among Seniors
Many of our senior loved ones don’t recognize their loneliness or the health problems that feeling lonely can cause. As a result, few will voice their need for additional support.
Look for the following signs of loneliness among seniors:
- Under or oversleeping
- Withdrawal from existing relationships
- Combativeness or moodiness
- Lack of appetite
- Anxiety over change or visitors leaving
- Lack of interest in normal passions
- Decreased attention to self-care
Nostalgia, memories of lost loved ones and distance from family can all contribute to the holiday blues. With a little planning, you can brighten the holiday season for your senior loved one.
Strategies to Add Cheer to Seasonal Loneliness
There are many things you can do to cheer your senior up during seasonal loneliness, including the following:
- Display holiday cards and greetings
- Set up decorations with seniors
- Help seniors make video calls to loved ones
- Sign seniors up for in-house visits by carolers or other holiday volunteers
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights in the Bryan/College Station area
- Attend local holiday events in Bryan/College Station
In addition to the above strategies, providing company to your senior loved one is great way to alleviate loneliness. HomeSpark Care is committed to providing the best care for your senior loved ones in the Bryan/College Station area. Our at-home caregivers can provide companionship during the holidays. Taking care of seniors is our passion and we are proud to give back to those who have done so much for their families, communities and country. Contact us with the link below for more information!